U.S. Embassy Ankara, Turkey
Routine Message for U.S. Citizens: State of Emergency
August 8, 2016
U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens resident in or visiting Turkey of potential impacts of the 90-day state of emergency imposed by the Government of Turkey July 21.
The state of emergency expands the authority of security forces in stopping, searching, and validating the identification documents of individuals. Those without a passport or identity document are subject to a 219 Turkish Lira (72 USD) fine or imprisonment. The U.S. Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to carry identity documents with them at all times and to cooperate with Turkish authorities.
The first decree issued by the Government of Turkey under the state of emergency increases legal detention periods without charge from a maximum of four days to a maximum of 30 days. If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately.
The Embassy has received numerous inquiries from individuals regarding their ability to exit Turkey either permanently or temporarily. U.S. citizens should consult the Göç Idaresi (Department of Migration) in their city of residence about their residency status.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local media and events, including large gatherings, demonstrations or rallies, and take the necessary precautions to enhance your personal security and situational awareness.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Turkey’s Travel Warning, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.