Spanish Fries is an easy side dish and relatively healthy! Ingredients can easily be found in the States, and with a little pre-thought (pick up the spice when you visit the States next time), easily made in Turkey as well!
I always make them when serving hot wings! Recently I served them with Chipotle Turkey with Charred Corn Salsa. Yummy. All of these recipes can be found on my blog – and made in Ankara, Turkey!
Old Bay Seasoning
Sauteed Peppers and Onions
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius, 400 Fahrenheit.
- Wash potatoes. Cut potato in half lengthwise. Then slice down each half to the size of steak fries, about 1/4″ thick for each slice.
- Prepare a glass baking dish or cookie sheet. Rub margarine on the bottom to prevent sticking.
- Layer potatoes in dish. The fewer the layers the better. So if you are cooking a lot, try to use a big dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and cover with Old Bay Seasoning. Bake.
- While baking, sautee the peppers and onions in a little olive oil.
- About 20 minutes later, flip potatoes and add a little more olive oil and Old Bay.
- Bake another 20 minutes or until brown. Add peppers and onions. Mound fries slightly and add cheeses until melted. Serve.
Potatoes – Select thin skinned potatoes. In Turkey, these are known as “Izmir” potatoes. In the U.S., red potatoes or regular boiling potatoes work. Do not use the thick skinned baking potatoes.
Old Bay Seasoning can probably NOT be found in Turkey. It’s possible it is available on the army base if you have a hook up. I always bring that from home.
Cheeses – you need something that melts nicely. In Turkey, Kaşar works nicely and is available absolutely everywhere. Mozzarella is available at the Metro Gross Markt, and possibly at larger markets like Real. Cheddar mixed in adds nice flavor! Also available at the larger markets.
Peppers – Mix it up! Green and red are great. But if you like it spicy, don’t be afraid to add them. Remember to start with less spicy peppers. you can always add more. But the sauté in oil will spread the heat.